|ACUTE HAZARDS / SYMPTOMS||PREVENTION||FIRST AID / FIRE FIGHTING|
|FIRE||Not combustible. Gives off irritating or toxic fumes (or gases) in a fire.||In case of fire in the surroundings, use appropriate extinguishing media.|
|EXPLOSION||In case of fire: keep drums, etc., cool by spraying with water.|
|EXPOSURE||PREVENT DISPERSION OF DUST! PREVENT GENERATION OF MISTS!|
|Inhalation||Cough.||Use local exhaust or breathing protection.||Fresh air, rest.|
|Skin||Protective gloves.||Remove contaminated clothes. Rinse and then wash skin with water and soap.|
|Eyes||Redness.||Wear safety goggles.||Rinse with plenty of water for several minutes (remove contact lenses if easily possible). Refer for medical attention.|
|Ingestion||Do not eat, drink, or smoke during work.||Rinse mouth. Refer for medical attention .|
|PACKAGING & LABELLING|
|Personal protection: particulate filter respirator adapted to the airborne concentration of the substance. Do NOT let this chemical enter the environment. Sweep spilled substance into covered containers. Carefully collect remainder. Then store and dispose of according to local regulations.||
UN Hazard Class: 9; UN Pack Group: III
Harmful if swallowed
May cause drowsiness or dizziness
Causes damage to the central nervous system, the kidneys and the liver through prolonged or repeated exposure
Very toxic to aquatic life
|EMERGENCY RESPONSE||SAFE STORAGE|
|Separated from strong oxidants, alkali metals and food and feedstuffs. See Chemical Dangers. Store in an area without drain or sewer access. Provision to contain effluent from fire extinguishing.|
Physical State; Appearance
COLOURLESS CRYSTALS WITH CHARACTERISTIC ODOUR.
Occupational exposure limits
Routes of exposure
The substance can be absorbed into the body by ingestion.
Effects of short-term exposure
Effects of long-term or repeated exposure
|PHYSICAL PROPERTIES||ENVIRONMENTAL DATA|
Sublimation point: 183-185°C
Relative density (water = 1): 2.1
Solubility in water: none
Vapour pressure, Pa at 20°C: 53
Relative vapour density (air = 1): 8.2
Relative density of the vapour/air-mixture at 20°C (air = 1): 1.0
Octanol/water partition coefficient as log Pow: 3.9
|The substance is very toxic to aquatic organisms. The substance may cause long-term effects in the aquatic environment.|
Use of alcoholic beverages enhances the harmful effect.
The odour warning when the exposure limit value is exceeded is insufficient.
Do NOT use in the vicinity of a fire or a hot surface, or during welding.
See Also: Toxicological Abbreviations Hexachloroethane (IARC Summary & Evaluation, Volume 20, 1979) Hexachloroethane (IARC Summary & Evaluation, Volume 73, 1999)