|ACUTE HAZARDS / SYMPTOMS||PREVENTION||FIRST AID / FIRE FIGHTING|
|FIRE||Not combustible. Liquid formulations containing organic solvents may be flammable. Gives off irritating or toxic fumes (or gases) in a fire.||In case of fire in the surroundings, use appropriate extinguishing media.|
|EXPLOSION||Risk of fire and explosion if formulations contain flammable/explosive solvents.|
|EXPOSURE||PREVENT DISPERSION OF DUST!|
|Inhalation||Cough. Sore throat. Headache. Nausea.||Use local exhaust or breathing protection.||Fresh air, rest. Refer for medical attention.|
|Skin||Redness. Pain.||Protective gloves. Protective clothing.||Remove contaminated clothes. Rinse and then wash skin with water and soap. Refer for medical attention .|
|Eyes||Redness. Pain. Burns. Blurred vision.||Wear safety goggles or eye protection in combination with breathing protection if powder.||Rinse with plenty of water (remove contact lenses if easily possible). Refer immediately for medical attention.|
|Ingestion||Burning sensation in the throat and chest. Abdominal pain. Nausea. Diarrhoea. Unconsciousness. Vomiting. Weakness. Shock or collapse.||Do not eat, drink, or smoke during work. Wash hands before eating.||Rinse mouth. Give one or two glasses of water to drink. Refer immediately for medical attention.|
|PACKAGING & LABELLING|
|Personal protection: filter respirator for organic gases and particulates adapted to the airborne concentration of the substance. Do NOT let this chemical enter the environment. Sweep spilled substance into sealable containers. If appropriate, moisten first to prevent dusting. Carefully collect remainder. Then store and dispose of according to local regulations.||
Do not transport with food and feedstuffs.
Symbol: Xn, N; R: 22-38-41-50/53; S: (2)-26-37-39-60-61
UN Hazard Class: 9; UN Pack Group: III
Harmful if swallowed
Harmful if inhaled dust
Causes skin irritation
Causes serious eye damage
May cause respiratory irritation
Very toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects
|EMERGENCY RESPONSE||SAFE STORAGE|
|Provision to contain effluent from fire extinguishing. Separated from strong bases and food and feedstuffs. Store in an area without drain or sewer access. Cool.|
Physical State; Appearance
WHITE CRYSTALLINE POWDER WITH CHARACTERISTIC ODOUR.
Occupational exposure limits
Routes of exposure
The substance can be absorbed into the body by inhalation of its aerosol, through the skin and by ingestion.
Effects of short-term exposure
Effects of long-term or repeated exposure
|PHYSICAL PROPERTIES||ENVIRONMENTAL DATA|
Melting point: 113-119°C
Relative density (water = 1): 1.3
Solubility in water: none
Vapour pressure, Pa at 20°C: (negligible)
Octanol/water partition coefficient as log Pow: 2.8
|The substance is very toxic to aquatic organisms. This substance does enter the environment under normal use. Great care, however, should be taken to avoid any additional release, for example through inappropriate disposal.|
MCPA is a chlorophenoxy-herbicide which, as a group, has been classified as possibly carcinogenic to humans.
Depending on the degree of exposure, periodic medical examination is suggested.
Carrier solvents used in commercial formulations may change physical and toxicological properties.
See Also: Toxicological Abbreviations MCPA (IARC Summary & Evaluation, Volume 30, 1983)