TYPES OF HAZARD
|ACUTE HAZARDS / SYMPTOMS||PREVENTION||FIRST AID / FIRE-FIGHTING|
|FIRE||Not combustible. Gives off irritating or toxic fumes (or gases) in a fire.||In case of fire in the surroundings, use appropriate extinguishing media.|
|EXPLOSION||In case of fire: keep drums, etc., cool by spraying with water.|
|EXPOSURE||PREVENT DISPERSION OF DUST!||IN ALL CASES CONSULT A DOCTOR!|
|Inhalation||Cough. Confusion. Drowsiness. Nausea. Unconciousness.||Use local exhaust or breathing protection.||Fresh air, rest. Artificial respiration may be needed. Refer immediately for medical attention.|
|Skin||Redness.||Protective gloves.||Rinse skin with plenty of water or shower.|
|Eyes||Redness.||Wear safety spectacles or eye protection in combination with breathing protection if powder.||First rinse with plenty of water for several minutes (remove contact lenses if easily possible), then refer for medical attention.|
|Ingestion||Abdominal pain. Vomiting. Further see Inhalation.||Do not eat, drink, or smoke during work. Wash hands before eating.||Rinse mouth. Do NOT induce vomiting. Refer immediately for medical attention.|
|PACKAGING & LABELLING|
|Personal protection: particulate filter respirator adapted to the airborne concentration of the substance. Sweep spilled substance into covered containers. If appropriate, moisten first to prevent dusting. Carefully collect remainder. Then store and dispose of according to local regulations.||
Do not transport with food and feedstuffs.
Symbol: T; R: 25-36/38; S: (1/2)-25-45
UN Hazard Class: 6.1
Toxic if swallowed
Causes skin irritation
Causes serious eye irritation
Suspected of causing genetic defects
May cause cancer
May cause drowsiness or dizziness
|EMERGENCY RESPONSE||SAFE STORAGE|
|Separated from strong bases and food and feedstuffs.|
Physical State; Appearance
TRANSPARENT COLOURLESS CRYSTALS WITH CHARACTERISTIC ODOUR.
Occupational exposure limits
Routes of exposure
The substance can be absorbed into the body by inhalation of its vapour or dust and by ingestion.
Effects of short-term exposure
Effects of long-term or repeated exposure
|PHYSICAL PROPERTIES||ENVIRONMENTAL DATA|
Decomposes at 97°C
Melting point: 57-60°C
Density: 1.9 g/cm³
Solubility in water: very good
Octanol/water partition coefficient as log Pow: 0.99
|This substance may be hazardous to the environment. Special attention should be given to aquatic organisms.|
Use of alcoholic beverages enhances the harmful effect.
Depending on the degree of exposure, periodic medical examination is suggested.
See Also: Toxicological Abbreviations Chloral hydrate (CICADS 25, 2000)