IPCS INCHEM Home
COPPER (I) OXIDEICSC: 0421
September 1997
CAS #: 1317-39-1Red copper oxide
Dicopper oxide
Cuprous oxide
EINECS #: 215-270-7

  ACUTE HAZARDS PREVENTION FIRE FIGHTING
FIRE & EXPLOSION Not combustible.        In case of fire in the surroundings, use appropriate extinguishing media.   

 PREVENT DISPERSION OF DUST! STRICT HYGIENE!  
  SYMPTOMS ACUTE HAZARDS FIRST AID
Inhalation Cough. Sore throat. Fever. Metallic taste. See Notes.  Use local exhaust or breathing protection.  Fresh air, rest. 
Skin Dry skin.    Remove contaminated clothes. Rinse and then wash skin with water and soap. 
Eyes Redness. Pain.  Wear safety goggles or eye protection in combination with breathing protection.  First rinse with plenty of water for several minutes (remove contact lenses if easily possible), then refer for medical attention. 
Ingestion Abdominal pain. Diarrhoea. Nausea. Vomiting. Metallic taste.  Do not eat, drink, or smoke during work.  Rinse mouth. Give one or two glasses of water to drink. Refer for medical attention . 

SPILLAGE DISPOSAL CLASSIFICATION & LABELLING
Personal protection: particulate filter respirator adapted to the airborne concentration of the substance. Sweep spilled substance into covered containers. If appropriate, moisten first to prevent dusting. Carefully collect remainder. Then store and dispose of according to local regulations. 

According to UN GHS Criteria

 

Transportation
UN Classification
 

STORAGE
 
PACKAGING
 
COPPER (I) OXIDE ICSC: 0421
PHYSICAL & CHEMICAL INFORMATION

Physical State; Appearance
YELLOW, RED OR BROWN CRYSTALLINE POWDER. 

Physical dangers
 

Chemical dangers
 

Formula: Cu2O
Molecular mass: 143.1
Decomposes at 1800°C
Melting point: 1232°C
Relative density (water = 1): 6.0
Solubility in water: none 


EXPOSURE & HEALTH EFFECTS

Routes of exposure
The substance can be absorbed into the body by inhalation and by ingestion. 

Effects of short-term exposure
The substance is irritating to the eyes and respiratory tract. Inhalation of fumes may cause metal fume fever. Ingestion could cause effects on the kidneys and liver. The effects may be delayed. 

Inhalation risk
Evaporation at 20°C is negligible; a harmful concentration of airborne particles can, however, be reached quickly when dispersed. 

Effects of long-term or repeated exposure
Repeated or prolonged contact with skin may cause dermatitis. 


Occupational exposure limits
MAK: 0.01 (respirable) mg/m3; peak limitation category: II(2); pregnancy risk group: C 

ENVIRONMENT
 

NOTES
Headache, cough, sweating, nausea and fever may be caused by freshly formed fumes or dust of copper oxide.
The symptoms of metal fume fever do not become manifest until a few hours have passed. 

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
  EC Classification
Symbol: Xn, N; R: 22-50/53; S: (2)-22-60-61 

All rights reserved. The published material is being distributed without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied. Neither ILO nor WHO nor the European Commission shall be responsible for the interpretation and use of the information contained in this material.
    See Also:
       Toxicological Abbreviations