|ACUTE HAZARDS / SYMPTOMS||PREVENTION||FIRST AID / FIRE FIGHTING|
|FIRE||Flammable.||NO open flames, NO sparks and NO smoking. NO contact with hot surfaces.||Use water spray, foam, powder, carbon dioxide.|
|EXPLOSION||Above 56°C explosive vapour/air mixtures may be formed.||Above 56°C use a closed system, ventilation and explosion-proof electrical equipment. Prevent build-up of electrostatic charges (e.g., by grounding).||In case of fire: keep drums, etc., cool by spraying with water.|
|Inhalation||Cough. Dizziness. Headache. Drowsiness.||Use local exhaust or breathing protection.||Fresh air, rest. Refer for medical attention.|
|Skin||Redness. Pain.||Protective gloves.||Remove contaminated clothes. Rinse skin with plenty of water or shower.|
|Eyes||Redness. Pain.||Wear safety spectacles or eye protection in combination with breathing protection.||First rinse with plenty of water for several minutes (remove contact lenses if easily possible), then refer for medical attention.|
|Ingestion||Nausea. Vomiting. Diarrhoea. Incoordination. Further see Inhalation.||Do not eat, drink, or smoke during work.||Rinse mouth. Do NOT induce vomiting. Give one or two glasses of water to drink. Refer for medical attention .|
|PACKAGING & LABELLING|
|Personal protection: filter respirator for organic gases and vapours adapted to the airborne concentration of the substance. Do NOT let this chemical enter the environment. Collect leaking and spilled liquid in sealable containers as far as possible. Absorb remaining liquid in sand or inert absorbent. Then store and dispose of according to local regulations.||
UN Hazard Class: 3; UN Pack Group: III
Flammable liquid and vapour
Harmful if inhaled
May be harmful if swallowed or in contact with skin
Very toxic to aquatic life
|EMERGENCY RESPONSE||SAFE STORAGE|
|Separated from strong oxidants. Store in an area without drain or sewer access.|
Physical State; Appearance
COLOURLESS LIQUID WITH CHARACTERISTIC ODOUR.
Occupational exposure limits
Routes of exposure
The substance can be absorbed into the body by inhalation of its aerosol or vapour and by ingestion.
Effects of short-term exposure
Effects of long-term or repeated exposure
|PHYSICAL PROPERTIES||ENVIRONMENTAL DATA|
Boiling point: 180-182°C
Melting point: -75°C
Relative density (water = 1): 0.86
Solubility in water: none
Vapour pressure, kPa at 20°C: 0.13
Relative vapour density (air = 1): 4.6
Flash point: 56°C c.c.
Auto-ignition temperature: 395°C
Relative density of the vapour/air-mixture at 20°C (air = 1): 1.0
Octanol/water partition coefficient as log Pow: 4-4.6 (estimated)
|The substance is very toxic to aquatic organisms. It is strongly advised not to let the chemical enter into the environment.|
Diethylbenzene (DEB) is commercialy only available as a mixture of isomers: 1,2 DEB (CAS 135-01-3), 1,3 DEB (CAS 141-93-5) and 1,4 DEB (CAS 105-05-5), with a typical purity > 92.3% (v/v).
The characteristic isomer distribution is : 1,3 DEB (60-65%), 1,4 DEB (27-30%) and 1,2 DEB (4-5%)
The physico-chemical properties may vary according to the chemical composition.
The preventive measures for the individual components may be different than for the mixed isomers.
Effects on kidney and liver have been reported only for the 1,4-isomer.
See Also: Toxicological Abbreviations