TYPES OF HAZARD
|ACUTE HAZARDS / SYMPTOMS||PREVENTION||FIRST AID / FIRE-FIGHTING|
|FIRE||Combustible under specific conditions. Gives off irritating or toxic fumes (or gases) in a fire.||NO open flames. NO contact with strong oxidizing agents.||Use foam, powder, carbon dioxide.|
|EXPOSURE||PREVENT DISPERSION OF DUST!|
|Inhalation||Cough. Sore throat.||Use local exhaust or breathing protection.||Fresh air, rest.|
|Skin||Redness. Pain.||Protective gloves. Protective clothing.||Remove contaminated clothes. To remove substance use polyethylene glycol 300 or vegetable oil. Rinse and then wash skin with water and soap.|
|Eyes||Redness. Pain.||Wear safety goggles, face shield or eye protection in combination with breathing protection if powder.||First rinse with plenty of water for several minutes (remove contact lenses if easily possible), then refer for medical attention.|
|Ingestion||Abdominal pain. Diarrhoea. Dizziness. Headache. Vomiting. Fatigue. Sweating.||Do not eat, drink, or smoke during work. Wash hands before eating.||Rinse mouth. Refer for medical attention .|
|PACKAGING & LABELLING|
|Personal protection: filter respirator for organic gases and particulates adapted to the airborne concentration of the substance. Do NOT let this chemical enter the environment. Sweep spilled substance into covered sealable containers. If appropriate, moisten first to prevent dusting. Carefully collect remainder. Then store and dispose of according to local regulations.||
Do not transport with food and feedstuffs.
Symbol: Xn, N; R: 22-36/38-50/53; S: (2)-26-28-60-61
UN Hazard Class: 6.1; UN Pack Group: III
Harmful if swallowed
Causes skin irritation
Causes serious eye irritation
May cause respiratory irritation
Very toxic to aquatic life
|EMERGENCY RESPONSE||SAFE STORAGE|
|Separated from strong oxidants and food and feedstuffs. Store in an area without drain or sewer access. Provision to contain effluent from fire extinguishing.|
Physical State; Appearance
COLOURLESS-TO-YELLOW CRYSTALS WITH CHARACTERISTIC ODOUR.
Occupational exposure limits
Routes of exposure
The substance can be absorbed into the body by ingestion.
Effects of short-term exposure
Effects of long-term or repeated exposure
|PHYSICAL PROPERTIES||ENVIRONMENTAL DATA|
Boiling point: 253°C
Melting point: 67°C
Density: 1.68 g/cm³
Relative vapour density (air = 1): 6.8
Solubility in water, g/l at 20°C: 1.2 (poor)
Flash point: 133°C c.c.
Vapour pressure, Pa at 25°C: 2.9
Octanol/water partition coefficient as log Pow: 3.7
|The substance is very toxic to aquatic organisms. This substance does enter the environment under normal use. Great care, however, should be taken to avoid any additional release, for example through inappropriate disposal.|
Some technical products may contain highly toxic impurities including polychlorinated dibenzo-p-dioxins and furans.
Depending on the degree of exposure, periodic medical examination is suggested.
If the substance is formulated with solvents also consult the ICSCs of these materials.
Carrier solvents used in commercial formulations may change physical and toxicological properties.
Also consult ICSC 0588 2,3,4-trichlorophenol, ICSC 0589 2,3,5-trichlorophenol, ICSC 0590 2,3,6-trichlorophenol and ICSC 1122 2,4,6-trichlorophenol.
See Also: Toxicological Abbreviations