|ACUTE HAZARDS / SYMPTOMS||PREVENTION||FIRST AID / FIRE FIGHTING|
|FIRE||Combustible. Gives off irritating or toxic fumes (or gases) in a fire.||NO open flames.||Use water spray, powder, foam, carbon dioxide.|
|EXPLOSION||Above 79.5°C explosive vapour/air mixtures may be formed.||Above 79.5°C use a closed system and ventilation.|
|EXPOSURE||PREVENT GENERATION OF MISTS! STRICT HYGIENE!||IN ALL CASES CONSULT A DOCTOR!|
|Inhalation||Blue lips, fingernails and skin. Cough. Dizziness. Headache. Laboured breathing. Sore throat.||Use local exhaust or breathing protection.||Fresh air, rest. Refer for medical attention.|
|Skin||MAY BE ABSORBED! Further see Inhalation.||Protective gloves. Protective clothing.||Remove contaminated clothes. Rinse and then wash skin with water and soap. Refer for medical attention .|
|Eyes||Wear face shield or eye protection in combination with breathing protection.||Rinse with plenty of water for several minutes (remove contact lenses if easily possible).|
|Ingestion||Abdominal pain. Blue lips, fingernails and skin. Dizziness. Headache. Laboured breathing. Nausea.||Do not eat, drink, or smoke during work.||Rinse mouth. Give a slurry of activated charcoal in water to drink. Refer for medical attention .|
|PACKAGING & LABELLING|
|Personal protection: chemical protection suit including self-contained breathing apparatus. Do NOT let this chemical enter the environment. Collect leaking liquid in sealable containers. Absorb remaining liquid in sand or inert absorbent. Then store and dispose of according to local regulations.||
Do not transport with food and feedstuffs.
Symbol: T, N; R: 23/24/25-33-50/53; S: (1/2)-28-36/37-45-60-61
UN Hazard Class: 6.1; UN Pack Group: III
Harmful if swallowed
Causes damage to blood
Harmful to aquatic life
|EMERGENCY RESPONSE||SAFE STORAGE|
|Transport Emergency Card: TEC (R)-61GT1-III.||Separated from strong oxidants, strong acids and food and feedstuffs. Keep in a well-ventilated room. Store in an area without drain or sewer access.|
Physical State; Appearance
COLOURLESS OR SLIGHTLY YELLOW OILY LIQUID. TURNS BROWN ON EXPOSURE TO AIR.
Occupational exposure limits
Routes of exposure
The substance can be absorbed into the body by inhalation of its vapour, by inhalation of its aerosol, through the skin and by ingestion.
Effects of short-term exposure
Effects of long-term or repeated exposure
|PHYSICAL PROPERTIES||ENVIRONMENTAL DATA|
Boiling point: 194-196°C
Melting point: -57°C
Relative density (water = 1): 0.99
Solubility in water: none
Vapour pressure, Pa at 20°C: 39.9
Relative vapour density (air = 1): 3.7
Relative density of the vapour/air-mixture at 20°C (air = 1): 1.0
Flash point: 79.5°C c.c.
Octanol/water partition coefficient as log Pow: 1.7
|The substance is harmful to aquatic organisms.|
Specific treatment is necessary in case of poisoning with this substance; the appropriate means with instructions must be available.
Card has been partially updated in March 2008: see Occupational Exposure Limits, Storage.
See Also: Toxicological Abbreviations