|ACUTE HAZARDS / SYMPTOMS||PREVENTION||FIRST AID / FIRE FIGHTING|
|FIRE||Not combustible. Gives off irritating or toxic fumes (or gases) in a fire.||In case of fire in the surroundings, use appropriate extinguishing media.|
|EXPOSURE||PREVENT DISPERSION OF DUST! AVOID ALL CONTACT!|
|Inhalation||Cough.||Use closed system.||Fresh air, rest.|
|Skin||Protective gloves.||Remove contaminated clothes. Rinse skin with plenty of water or shower.|
|Eyes||Redness.||Wear safety goggles or eye protection in combination with breathing protection if powder.||Rinse with plenty of water for several minutes (remove contact lenses if easily possible).|
|Ingestion||Abdominal pain. Nausea. Vomiting.||Do not eat, drink, or smoke during work.||Rinse mouth. Give one or two glasses of water to drink.|
|PACKAGING & LABELLING|
|Personal protection: chemical protection suit including self-contained breathing apparatus. Sweep spilled substance into covered containers. If appropriate, moisten first to prevent dusting. Do NOT let this chemical enter the environment. Carefully collect remainder. Then store and dispose of according to local regulations.||
Do not transport with food and feedstuffs.
Symbol: Xn, N; R: 20/21/22-50/53; S: (2)-60-61; Note: A
UN Hazard Class: 6.1; UN Pack Group: III
Harmful if swallowed
May cause genetic defects
May cause cancer
Causes damage to kidneys and bones through prolonged or repeated exposure
Very toxic to aquatic life
Very toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects
|EMERGENCY RESPONSE||SAFE STORAGE|
|Transport Emergency Card: TEC (R)-61GT5-II.||Separated from food and feedstuffs. Store in an area without drain or sewer access. Provision to contain effluent from fire extinguishing.|
Physical State; Appearance
COLOURLESS CRYSTALS WITH CHARACTERISTIC ODOUR.
Occupational exposure limits
Routes of exposure
The substance can be absorbed into the body by inhalation and by ingestion.
Effects of short-term exposure
Effects of long-term or repeated exposure
|PHYSICAL PROPERTIES||ENVIRONMENTAL DATA|
Melting point: 255°C
Density: 2.34 g/cm³
Solubility in water: very good
|The substance is very toxic to aquatic organisms. Bioaccumulation of this chemical may occur in plants and seafood. It is strongly advised not to let the chemical enter into the environment.|
There is little information on the effects of this compound.
Health effects are here mainly based on the studies of other cadmium compounds.
Depending on the degree of exposure, periodic medical examination is suggested.
Do NOT take working clothes home.
Card has been partially updated in February 2009: see Occupational Exposure Limits, Packaging & labelling.
See Also: Toxicological Abbreviations