|ACUTE HAZARDS / SYMPTOMS||PREVENTION||FIRST AID / FIRE FIGHTING|
|FIRE||Combustible. Gives off irritating or toxic fumes (or gases) in a fire. See Chemical dangers||NO open flames. NO contact with oxidants.||Use powder, alcohol-resistant foam, water spray, carbon dioxide.|
|EXPLOSION||Risk of fire and explosion on contact with oxidants. See Chemical Dangers.||In case of fire: keep cylinder cool by spraying with water.|
|EXPOSURE||PREVENT GENERATION OF MISTS! AVOID ALL CONTACT!||IN ALL CASES CONSULT A DOCTOR!|
|Inhalation||Sore throat. Cough. Burning sensation. Laboured breathing. Shortness of breath.||Use ventilation, local exhaust or breathing protection.||Fresh air, rest. Half-upright position. Refer immediately for medical attention.|
|Skin||Redness. Pain. Skin burns. Blisters.||Protective gloves. Protective clothing.||First rinse with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, then remove contaminated clothes and rinse again. Refer immediately for medical attention.|
|Eyes||Redness. Pain. Loss of vision. Severe deep burns.||Wear face shield or eye protection in combination with breathing protection.||Rinse with plenty of water (remove contact lenses if easily possible). Refer immediately for medical attention.|
|Ingestion||Burns in mouth and throat. Burning sensation in the throat and chest. Abdominal pain. Shock or collapse.||Do not eat, drink, or smoke during work. Wash hands before eating.||Rinse mouth. Do NOT induce vomiting. Refer immediately for medical attention.|
|PACKAGING & LABELLING|
|Personal protection: chemical protection suit including self-contained breathing apparatus. Do NOT let this chemical enter the environment. Collect leaking liquid in sealable containers. Absorb remaining liquid in sand or inert absorbent. Then store and dispose of according to local regulations.||
Do not transport with food and feedstuffs.
Symbol: C; R: 21-34-43-52/53; S: (1/2)-26-36/37/39-45-61
UN Hazard Class: 8; UN Pack Group: II
Toxic in contact with skin
May be harmful if swallowed
Causes severe skin burns and eye damage
May cause allergy or asthma symptoms or breathing difficulties if inhaled
May cause an allergic skin reaction
Toxic to aquatic life
Toxic to aquatic life with long lasting effects
|EMERGENCY RESPONSE||SAFE STORAGE|
|NFPA Code: H3; F1; R0.||Separated from food and feedstuffs. See Chemical Dangers. Cool. Store in an area without drain or sewer access. Provision to contain effluent from fire extinguishing.|
Physical State; Appearance
COLOURLESS-TO-YELLOW HYGROSCOPIC VISCOUS LIQUID WITH CHARACTERISTIC ODOUR.
Occupational exposure limits
Routes of exposure
The substance can be absorbed into the body by inhalation of its vapour, through the skin and by ingestion. Serious local effects by all routes of exposure.
Effects of short-term exposure
Effects of long-term or repeated exposure
|PHYSICAL PROPERTIES||ENVIRONMENTAL DATA|
Boiling point: 277°C
Melting point: -35°C
Density: 0.98 g/cm³
Solubility in water: miscible
Vapour pressure, Pa at 20°C: 1.3
Relative vapour density (air = 1): 5.04
Relative density of the vapour/air-mixture at 20°C (air = 1): 1.00
Flash point: 135°C c.c.
Auto-ignition temperature: 335°C
Explosive limits, vol% in air: 1.1-?
Octanol/water partition coefficient as log Pow: -1.4/-1.66
Viscosity: 27.24 mm²/s at 20°C
|The substance is toxic to aquatic organisms. The substance may cause long-term effects in the aquatic environment. It is strongly advised not to let the chemical enter into the environment.|
The symptoms of asthma often do not become manifest until a few hours have passed and they are aggravated by physical effort. Rest and medical observation are therefore essential.
Immediate administration of an appropriate inhalation therapy by a doctor, or by an authorized person, should be considered.
Anyone who has shown symptoms of asthma due to this substance should avoid all further contact.
See Also: Toxicological Abbreviations Triethylenetetramine (SIDS)