|ACUTE HAZARDS / SYMPTOMS||PREVENTION||FIRST AID / FIRE FIGHTING|
|FIRE||Highly flammable. Gives off irritating or toxic fumes (or gases) in a fire.||NO open flames, NO sparks and NO smoking. NO contact with oxidizing agents.||Use water in large amounts, powder, alcohol-resistant foam, carbon dioxide.|
|EXPLOSION||Vapour/air mixtures are explosive. Risk of fire and explosion on contact with oxidizing agents.||Closed system, ventilation, explosion-proof electrical equipment and lighting. Do NOT use compressed air for filling, discharging, or handling.||In case of fire: keep drums, etc., cool by spraying with water.|
|EXPOSURE||AVOID ALL CONTACT!||IN ALL CASES CONSULT A DOCTOR!|
|Inhalation||Cough. Sore throat. See Notes.||Use ventilation, local exhaust or breathing protection.||Fresh air, rest. Refer immediately for medical attention.|
|Skin||MAY BE ABSORBED! See Notes.||Protective gloves. Protective clothing.||First rinse with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, then remove contaminated clothes and rinse again. Refer immediately for medical attention.|
|Eyes||Redness. Pain.||Wear face shield or eye protection in combination with breathing protection.||First rinse with plenty of water for several minutes (remove contact lenses if easily possible), then refer for medical attention.|
|Ingestion||See Notes.||Do not eat, drink, or smoke during work. Wash hands before eating.||Rinse mouth. Refer immediately for medical attention.|
|PACKAGING & LABELLING|
|Evacuate danger area! Consult an expert! Personal protection: complete protective clothing including self-contained breathing apparatus. Do NOT let this chemical enter the environment. Collect leaking and spilled liquid in sealable containers as far as possible. Absorb remaining liquid in sand or inert absorbent. Then store and dispose of according to local regulations. Do NOT absorb in saw-dust or other combustible absorbents.||
Do not transport with food and feedstuffs.
Symbol: T, N; R: 45-23/24/25-51/53; S: 53-45-61
UN Hazard Class: 6.1; UN Subsidiary Risks: 3; UN Pack Group: I
Highly flammable liquid and vapour
Fatal if swallowed
Fatal in contact with skin
Fatal if inhaled
Causes eye irritation
Suspected of causing genetic defects
May cause cancer
Causes damage to liver and kidneys through prolonged or repeated exposure
|EMERGENCY RESPONSE||SAFE STORAGE|
|Transport Emergency Card: TEC (R)-61GTF1-1.||Fireproof. Separated from strong oxidants. Well closed. Store in an area without drain or sewer access.|
Physical State; Appearance
COLOURLESS FUMING HYGROSCOPIC LIQUID WITH PUNGENT ODOUR. TURNS YELLOW ON EXPOSURE TO AIR.
Occupational exposure limits
Routes of exposure
The substance can be absorbed into the body by inhalation, through the skin and by ingestion.
Effects of short-term exposure
Effects of long-term or repeated exposure
|PHYSICAL PROPERTIES||ENVIRONMENTAL DATA|
Boiling point: 81°C
Melting point: -9°C
Density: 0.83 g/cm³
Solubility in water, g/100ml at 25°C: 100
Vapour pressure, kPa at 25°C: 9
Relative vapour density (air = 1): 2.07
Relative density of the vapour/air-mixture at 20°C (air = 1): 1.1
Flash point: <5°C
Explosive limits, vol% in air: 2.4 - 20
Octanol/water partition coefficient as log Pow: -0.54 (estimated)
|This substance may be hazardous to the environment. Special attention should be given to fish.|
Insufficient data are available on the effect of this substance on human health, therefore utmost care must be taken.
Rinse contaminated clothes with plenty of water because of fire hazard.
Environmental effects from the substance have not been investigated.
Data on similar substances suggest that there may be environmental effects of this substance.
See Also: Toxicological Abbreviations