Use ventilation, local exhaust or breathing protection.
Fresh air, rest. Refer for medical attention.
Rinse and then wash skin with water and soap.
Wear safety spectacles.
First rinse with plenty of water for several minutes (remove contact lenses if easily possible), then refer for medical attention.
Headache. Nausea. Vomiting. Dizziness.
Do not eat, drink, or smoke during work.
Rinse mouth. Refer for medical attention .
CLASSIFICATION & LABELLING
Personal protection: filter respirator for organic gases and vapours adapted to the airborne concentration of the substance. Collect leaking and spilled liquid in sealable containers as far as possible. Absorb remaining liquid in sand or inert absorbent. Then store and dispose of according to local regulations. Do NOT let this chemical enter the environment.
According to UN GHS Criteria
Transportation UN Classification
Fireproof. Separated from strong bases, strong acids and oxidants.
PHYSICAL & CHEMICAL INFORMATION
Physical State; Appearance COLOURLESS LIQUID WITH CHARACTERISTIC ODOUR.
Chemical dangers Decomposes on burning. This produces toxic gases including hydrogen sulfide and sulfur oxides. Reacts violently with oxidants. This generates fire hazard. Reacts with strong acids, strong bases and strong reducing agents. Attacks metals and rubber.
Formula: C8H18S / CH2SH(CH2)6CH3
Molecular mass: 146.3
Boiling point: 199°C Melting point: -49°C Relative density (water = 1): 0.84 Solubility in water: none Vapour pressure, kPa at 25°C: 0.06 Relative vapour density (air = 1): 5.0 Relative density of the vapour/air-mixture at 20°C (air = 1): 1 Flash point: 69°C o.c. Explosive limits, vol% in air: 0.8-? Octanol/water partition coefficient as log Pow: 4.21 (estimated)
EXPOSURE & HEALTH EFFECTS
Routes of exposure The substance can be absorbed into the body by inhalation and by ingestion.
Effects of short-term exposure The substance is mildly irritating to the eyes, skin and respiratory tract. The substance may cause effects on the central nervous system. Exposure at high levels could cause lowering of consciousness.
Inhalation risk No indication can be given about the rate at which a harmful concentration of this substance in the air is reached on evaporation at 20°C.
Effects of long-term or repeated exposure
OCCUPATIONAL EXPOSURE LIMITS
The substance is very toxic to aquatic organisms.
All rights reserved. The published material is being distributed without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied.
Neither ILO nor WHO nor the European Commission shall be responsible for the interpretation and use of the information contained in this material.